Monday, April 14, 2014

a marathon of a family reunion (HAHA)

As I sit on my patio that is officially open for the spring/summer to dish out all the juicy details of my trip to Amsterdam, I realize that I have yet to update you on my trip to Paris!!!! That doesn't seem right, so let's kill two birds with one stone, yeah? YEAH!

I greeted my family at the worst, most-hated airport on earth (Charles de Gaulle, in case you haven't been keeping up with the worst airport polls): there were surprisingly no tears, Andrew was grumpy because he didn't sleep on the plane, I couldn't stop talking, and we all collectively looked about as American as it comes.

The following three days were a blur of sights (the Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay, the Notre Dame), me being a marathon-running princess who didn't want to walk anywhere (we walked everywhere), a jet lagged family, some of the best bread I've ever had, and Freaks & Geeks. Oh and I was reunited with my first love, BAGELS FOREVER, so that was a definite highlight.
not posed actually

I cried over these
Aaaaaaaaaand then, after months of sporadically running in random countries, I ran 26.2 whole miles. 42.2 kilometers. WHAAAAAAT.

It was surprisingly fun, and it surprisingly hurt, and there were a surprisingly large amount of people running. And cheering. I have a brand new appreciation for people who cheer on marathoners: they kept me going even when I was convinced things were eating my muscles.

I surprisingly finished with a smile, although that's probably from the fact that I wasn't the guy next to me who was puking all of the last 150m. I can't believe I actually did it? It honestly was all a blur, with images of former teammates, November Projecters, and their words of support flashing through my head. Having my family physically there didn't hurt either. That's how I finished I guess. But lemme tell ya, the last twelve kilometers (or sixish miles, if you aren't a pretentious wannabe European like me now) made me question LITERALLY everything about why I run and why I signed up and how hard would it be, really, to chop off my legs and leave them on the side of the road where I would lay and never move? But somewhere in that questioning, I finished, and there was a Spotted Cow and a lot of hugs and my Birkenstocks (no hating) waiting for me at the end. I don't have to run another one for a long time!!! (although I am currently going through horrible running withdrawals where my legs feel constantly ready to spring into action but they can't and I don't know how to control it because this has never happened to me before). I guess somewhere in there, I accidentally became somewhat of a real runner, after six years of "running", meaning avoiding real runs with the BFF relay (mad love, ladies), getting popsicles, swimming, etc. Funny how that works.

YAY
The marathon took away my ability to walk like a normal person, and for four days I got a glimpse of what it wold be like to be 90 with arthritis in my hips. Not fun. BUT the Monday after (so the day after) my marathon, my family trained down to Aix for a little basically so they can fall in love with the place like I have. Of course we had a gathering with my American family and my French family: a lot of gesturing and interesting translations and wine later, and I think everyone got along pretty well.

all my favorite people in one picture!!! 

My dad, brother and aunt left the day after the dinner, while my mom stuck around with me for the following week: we went to Amsterdam!!!





















First of all, Amsterdam in the middle (how is it the middle) of April is absolutely beautiful, and we were blessed with four full days of sun while we were there. We hit the majority of the very touristy things: frites, a canal tour, the Anne Frank house (talk about a sobering experience), and my favorite: a tulip garden and a bike ride around the surrounding tulip fields. The colors stretched on for miles, and the smell perfumed the air and followed us everywhere. Plus it's impossible to be on a bike in the sun surrounded by tulips and fueled by coffee and NOT be happy.
an obvious selfie opportunity

I am now back in Aix, where I'm studying for my last exam before a two week break (hard, I know), which will be followed by some more exams and MY BEST FRIEND VISITING ME. Hard to believe I'm on the home stretch of my time here....surreal. woof. wow. I don't even have words for that. You'll hear from me after my next round of adventures (who knows where they'll take me)

xo,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment